21 March, 2006

Dawson's SXSW XX Final Thoughts

SXSW XX - The philosophy that all music is World Music

The city of Austin, especially around the time of spring break and SXSW, provides the perfect setting for the artistic communities of the world. Even as the weather turned "typical Texas", fans and fellow artists found ample opportunies to network, listen to music, and view the latest films. And learn about the latest trends in the biggest trend of them all, cyberspace.

So, after a day of sleep and recovery, I want to share some observations.

GOOD
SXSW is a vehicle of volunteerism. Without them, the festival would not exist. I have seen the same faces year in and year out.

NOT SO GOOD
Sometimes the official venues have lousy sound reinforcement. It is not always the musicianship of the group, its just that nobody taught the volunteer sound tech the basics.

AMAZING
When I saw the stars perform., the live mixes were well supervised and gave the audiences great music experiences.

GOOD
The opportunities for the fans and the artists are endless. Just work hard and things happen!

NOT SO GOOD
Plenty of sharks in the SXSW ocean

AMAZING
I got to meet Marco Werman of the famous BBC PRI radio show, The World

http://www.theworld.org/

Besides being a journalist, Marco hosts a segment called Global Hit - a great show that exposed me to tons of interesting music you are not gonna find at a brick and mortar store.

GOOD
I reconnected with many friends from North Texas and around the world.

NOT SO GOOD
I really hated that guy at Coyote Ugly's that would not shut up during Magneeto's unofficial SXSW set.

AMAZING
I collected over 200 business cards, 17 CD's, 58 flyers, 12 magazines, 3 DVD's, and tons of goofy promo items.

See you all next year at SXSW. Thanks for reading and come and see my band perform at the Fort Worth Main Street Arts Festival - Visit my website for date and time!

PEACE ON EARTH
Post a Comment